Job Code: MPI-Halle-OLT
Job Offer from September 19, 2019
Optical Laboratory Technician
The Max Planck Institute of Microstructure Physics, Halle, Germany, Department of Nanophotonics, Integration, and Neural Technology, is recruiting one full-time Optical Laboratory Technician to set up and maintain the research laboratories. Our new Department is initiating research programs on nanoscale devices and microsystems for future computing and brain activity mapping technologies.
We are currently building our new laboratories. The laboratories will be equipped with optical characterization setups (free-space and fiber-based), micro-device characterization setups, 2-photon microscopes, electronic design spaces, cell culture facilities, 3D printers and equipment for packaging.
- Assist in establishing the photonics and imaging labs in the Department by being trained on newly purchased equipment (e.g., lasers), installing equipment, purchasing and assembling parts, putting together experimental setups
- Maintain safe and efficient operation of the instrumentation and experimental setups in the laboratories
- Train new students and scientists on how to use the equipment
- Provide optics-related technical support to coworkers in their experiments
- Provide secondary support for electronic and prototyping instruments in the laboratories
- Maintain safe working environments for coworkers
- Serve as the laser safety contact for the relevant laboratories
- You have at least 2 years of experience in maintaining optical equipment and optical laboratories
- You have experience with optical components, free-space optics, fiber optics, picosecond and femtosecond lasers, and imaging systems
- You have basic programming skills in Matlab, LabView, and general-purpose programming languages such as C, C++, Python for controlling and using equipment
- Other skills in electronic measurements, CAD, 3D printing are assets
- Prior experience in an academic research environment, such as working with students, postdoctoral fellows, is an asset
- You enjoy working with others and excel in a fast-paced, highly dynamic, interdisciplinary and international environment
- You have good communication skills in English and German
- The opportunity to work at the forefront of scientific research with an incredible team of highly motivated and smart people
- Remuneration and social benefits according to TVöD
- Fixed-term contract initially for 2 years, with the potential of extension
- Expected start date: January 2020; negotiable
Please send your resume with the names of two references as a single pdf file to email@example.com, referencing MPI-Halle-OLT. The position will remain open until closed.
The Max Planck Society aims to employ more persons with disabilities and increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented; thus, applications from persons with disabilities and women are encouraged.