Toward highly integrated visible light photonics and neurophotonics
- Date: Apr 4, 2019
- Time: 02:00 PM (Local Time Germany)
- Speaker: Dr. Wesley Sacher
- NINT Department, Max Planck Institute of Microstructure Physics & Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Toronto, Canada
- Location: Max-Planck-Institut für Mikrostrukturphysik, Weinberg 2, 06120 Halle (Saale)
- Room: Lecture Hall, B.1.11
Visible light integrated photonics remains largely undeveloped relative to silicon photonics in the infrared for data communications. Tremendous opportunities exist in developing this technology for biological and display applications. In this talk, I will review our collaborative efforts on the development of integrated photonics using silicon nitride waveguides on silicon substrates. Initial prototyping on 100mm wafers and our transition to foundry fabrication on 200mm wafers will be discussed. Experimental results will be shown from our application of this technology to implantable neurophotonic probes for delivering highly patterned light to brain tissue in vivo and in vitro for optogenetic stimulation and functional calcium imaging.